Wikipedia defines podcast as an episodic series of digital audio files which a user can download and listen to. It is often available for subscription so that new episodes are automatically downloaded via web synchronization to the user’s own local computer mobile application or portable media player. There are several apps like Stitcher, SoundCloud and Spreaker which allows anyone with a smartphone to listen to your podcasts. Just by using your smart phone and with these apps you can make your own podcasts and this is why podcasting is so important for social marketers. If you can’t reach your audience with your blog, another way to do it is through podcasting.
Here are some ideas:
1. You must set out a viable plan for your podcasts - Part of your plan should be to get a reliable podcasting webhost. It does not cost that much. The cost can range from $5 -$10 a month. Know what episodes should come first and make it in a methodical and systematic matter. You must make make podcasting a monthly undertaking. Determine how many episodes will you have each month. Treat your podcasts like a blog and make a calendar of content for it. Make a list of your episodes and it must be synchronized. When everything is done in a systematic manner, it will be easier for you to make and record your podcast.
2. Get A Good Microphone - Don’t invest in a cheap microphone but buy a microphone that is of quality. Remember that you want to be well heard by your targeted audience You have to get the message out clearly. If you have a quality microphone, editing becomes easy.
3. Have an attractive cover Image and introduction – A good graphic designer can do this for you or if you know a thing or two in graphic designing you can do it yourself. Everything counts in podcasting. First impression really counts. Just by your cover image and introduction, your audience can get the essence of what you are trying to relay to them.
4. Follow a set standard format – Doing this will keep you in place and you will not get thrown off from your topic. Every topic must have an introduction, body and conclusion. It's just like a business letter, it has an introduction, body and conclusion. Have a list of important points so that you will not be thrown off from the topic at hand.
5. Getting to know your audience - You can site examples during your podcasts or even do just a bit of storytelling. This will help you develop a personal attachment with your audience. Be able to relate your experiences to your audience. Don’t try to be perfect because no one is perfect. Show them who you really are and this means even your liabilities. Everything becomes personal, this way you can earn their confidence. Be who you are and this is very important.
6 Your audio files must be edited –You can hire someone to edit your files. There are also free editing tools but I would get the more up to date editing tools. You can check out their prices online. The editing tools will improve, enrich and compress your audio files. This way your will have a desirable quality when it is being streamed online.
7. Podcasting can promote your blog – You can refer your audience to your blog if they want to find out more information. They might want to get in touch with you. Your podcasts can make your blog known. You can also give out your homepage but the links must be brief.